Selling or buying a business can be a complicated process. Not getting good legal advice can result in significant expense. Failure to properly structure the deal, can also reduce your upside. Our attorneys are very knowledgeable when it comes to business purchases. You can make use of our experience to help you navigate your transaction.
When selling a business, it’s important to have a full understanding of what is being sold and what is to be kept by the seller. Some sellers may want to keep certain assets, such as copyrights or intellectual property. Knowing exactly what is on the negotiating table will also be useful to establish an accurate and acceptable price for the sale.
Buyer Due Diligence
Before purchasing an existing business, it’s essential that you learn the ins and outs of the company, or the assets to be bought, to avoid any surprises or hidden liabilities in the future.
Due diligence involves the careful investigation of the business’s assets, books and records. This helps to:
- Ensure that the company and its assets are accurately described by the seller;
- Understand the current financial statements of the business; and
- Make you aware of any risks, liabilities or debts.
Purchase and Sale Services:
- Transaction Structuring and Negotiation
- Due Diligence
- Asset Purchase Agreements
- Closing and Post-closing Obligations
- Bills of Sale
- Bulk Sales Cooperation
- Name Change and Other Modifications
- Employment Matters
- Corporate Resolutions
- Intellectual Property Assignments
- Corporate Cleanup
- Compliance with Applicable Regulations
For more information or legal help with buying or selling a business, or to speak with an experienced New York business attorney contact us.